Los Angeles Estate & Trust Attorney
Call Today for a Free Evaluation 310.853.1554

How to Determine if You are entitled to Inherit from a Loved One's Will

   After the initial shock subsides after losing a loved one, it is a time to consider more practical matters, such as what is to become of their personal belongings and property. If the person who died (the "decedent") has drafted a will than the title to their property will pass to the person who is named in the will, called a devisee. However, if the person died without a will this is referred to as "intestate," the property will pass to the decedent's heirs pursuant to the California Probate Code. 
   In order to determine whether you are entitled to a distribution you should contact the decedent's personal representative--the person named to distribute property on their behalf in the event of their death. The personal representative, as part of their duties files a petition with the Probate court to determine who is entitled to a distribution. If you think that you are entitled to a distribution of the decedents' estate you should consult with an experienced Los Angeles probate attorney to assure your interests are being properly represented in the probate of the estate.